There is no great secret to what we do: we simply raise the best animals, in the happiest of circumstances, on the finest stretch of the Yorkshire Moors we could find. Only by ensuring that our pigs, cattle and sheep receive the highest level of care can we be sure our customers will receive the quality they have come to expect. It’s not a philosophy or mission statement. It’s just what we do.
The Ginger Pig is a butchery business with its foundations firmly in farming. We’ve grown our own farming operations from three pigs to 3,000 acres, and extended to work with a brilliant network of small, largely family-run British beef farms to supply our retail and wholesale customers. At the heart of everything we do are the five freedoms, and our commitment to native breeds, working to increase numbers of animals which have previously nearly died out.
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering